A/C systems help keep us cool, circulate airflow and remove moisture from the home, which are all important elements for staying comfortable in the Tampa area. Help your A/C do its job better and improve A/C efficiency with these tips.
A well-maintained A/C is an efficient A/C. The following simple care tips help ensure your air conditioner isn’t working harder than it needs to:
- Purchase a box of air filters, and label each by month to help you remember and track filter changes. A dirty filter makes the A/C work harder and use more electricity.
- Vacuum or wipe the return grilles and supply outlets every other month to remove debris that restricts airflow.
- Check the outside condenser cabinet each month and remove any weeds, debris and barriers to free airflow.
- Springtime is a great time to schedule an A/C checkup.
- Ask your HVAC technician to inspect the air ducts. Leaky and uninsulated ductwork increases A/C workload by a substantial margin.
Low cooling bills are always nice, but they’re not always possible when temperatures and humidity are high. Use these A/C operating tips to improve A/C efficiency, and to ensure you are not sacrificing comfort to save energy.
- Windows and doors should remain closed when not in use to help keep heat gain to a minimum.
- Use ventilation fans when cooking and showering to help minimize moisture. Keep stovetop and oven cooking to a minimum.
- Ceiling fans help circulate air in the home, and can make a room feel cooler for much less energy consumption than the A/C by itself.
- Energy Star recommends setting the thermostat to 78 degrees. While your personal comfort preferences will dictate the average thermostat setting, keep in mind that for each degree you raise the thermostat from your normal setting, you save 3 to 5 percent cooling costs. For best results, use a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust temperatures between your comfort setting and energy-saving settings during working, sleeping and leisure hours.
For more ways to improve A/C efficiency, please contact us at Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc. We serve homeowners in Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com