Air filter replacement is critical because proper airflow is one of the most paramount factors in the operation of your heating and cooling system. Your system’s blower, ducts, burners and coil are all carefully sized for a very specific airflow volume. When the amount of air leaving or returning to the furnace or A/C is below specifications, a Pandora’s box of energy-efficiency, performance and air quality shortfalls is the inevitable consequence. The main component that influences airflow is the air filter. A clogged or dirty filter can quickly strangle your system, particularly in times of high heating and cooling demand. Air filter replacement is inexpensive compared to the cost of a service call and most are an easy DIY item to replace. Here are six good reasons to stay on top of regular air filter replacement:
- A dirty filter can actually permanently damage some of the most expensive components in the system. Both the blower fan motor and the heat exchanger can overheat from lack of consistent, adequate airflow.
- Electricity consumption by the blower motor is a major contributor to the operating cost of a gas-fired furnace. A blower motor straining against restricted airflow caused by a dirty filter draws more electricity and increases utility expenses.
- Poor filtration by a dirty filter allows permanent accumulations of dust and dirt inside air ducts.
- Indoor air quality suffers from clogged filters as airborne particulates are not strained out of the air efficiently. In addition, a dirty filter may serve as a breeding ground for mold and bacteria.
- Air filter replacement delivers the most immediate payoff in energy savings. There’s no waiting period to see lower utility cost.
- Clean air filters mean a smaller carbon footprint and reduced contribution to greenhouse gases.
For more information about the benefits of air filter replacement to enhance indoor comfort and energy efficiency, contact Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc. today.