If your heat pump is malfunctioning, it’s not always necessary to call your HVAC pro. Before picking up the phone to schedule a repair appointment, you can try some heat pump troubleshooting steps to fix the following common issues:
1. The unit won’t start up.
- Make sure that the thermostat setting is on “heat,” that it’s set above the room temperature displayed, and that the battery is live.
- If the unit has a power switch, check that it’s in the “on” position.
- Check your main electrical panel and the unit’s air handler cabinet for a tripped circuit breaker. If the auxiliary heat came on, it may have have drawn too much power, which caused the breaker to trip.
2. Your heat pump isn’t heating or cooling as expected, and it’s not in defrost mode.
- Raise the thermostat’s temperature by 5 degrees to check that the back-up heating elements are functioning.
- Inspect the air filter, and change or clean if necessary.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit’s coils.
3. Your condensing unit has frozen up.
- Check for a dirty air filter.
- Check for a blocked return air register, which can impede air flow.
4. The heat pump cycles on and off frequently, and the filter isn’t dirty.
- Test the thermostat’s battery.
- Open the thermostat and clean any accumulated dust with a soft brush.
- Clean the contacts.
5. The blower isn’t moving air.
- Make sure that the thermostat’s fan is set to “on” or “auto.”
- Try adjusting the pointers on the heat pump’s limit switch. Set the upper pointer around 115 degrees, and the lower one at about 90 degrees.
- If the motor is running, but there’s no air flow, you may have a broken belt, which is easy to replace.
6. The unit is noisy while it’s running.
- If you’re hearing rattling sounds, tighten the screws on the cover panels.
- To fix a pinging noise in the ductwork, pinpoint the location and make a small dent in the metal.
If these heat pump troubleshooting tips don’t solve the problem, and you need professional help in your St. Petersburg, Clearwater or Tampa area home, contact us at Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com