The air that you breathe has a huge impact on your health. You’ve likely heard about how smog, industrial waste and other pollutants that you breathe while outdoors can aggravate respiratory problems. However, you might not know that the air inside your home can also cause problems for individuals who suffer from asthma, allergies, COPD and other respiratory diseases. If you’re concerned about the pollutants that your family is breathing at home, consider having air quality testing conducted by a licensed HVAC technician who understands common pollutants and air quality problems in the Tampa, FL, area.
What is Indoor Air Quality?
Indoor air quality (IAQ) is a measure of how many pollutants are present in the air that you breathe inside. If your home has good IAQ, you breathe few pollutants and won’t need to worry about how IAQ affects your health. If your home has poor IAQ, you may notice an increase in respiratory problems, especially in those family members who already suffer from allergies, asthma or COPD. Poor IAQ can be caused by the presence of any of the following in the air that you breathe:
- Particle pollutants such as cigarette smoke and smog.
- Dust, dander and pollen.
- Mold and mildew.
- Chemicals found in household cleaning products.
- Chemicals used to treat draperies, carpeting and upholstery.
- Pet and vermin droppings.
- Carbon monoxide.
Is My Home Making Me Sick?
It’s frightening to think that your home might be making you sick. However, it’s important to face IAQ concerns head-on so that you can put a plan to improve the quality of the air that your family breathes into place. You should have professional air quality testing conducted if you notice any of the following:
- Regular sneezing and coughing while inside the home even though you are not suffering from allergies, a cold or the flu.
- An increase in asthma attacks, COPD episodes or allergy issues that is not related to a definite medical cause.
- Noticeable musty or moldy smells in some or all areas of your home.
- Some rooms in your home are always much cooler or much hotter than other rooms.
- You feel like you are breathing airplane air while in your home.
If you experience nausea, lightheadedness or regular headaches that come on suddenly while in your home, you should leave the premises immediately and have carbon monoxide levels checked. Carbon monoxide poisoning is very dangerous.
Choosing An Air Purification System to Improve IAQ
After you’ve received the results of IAQ testing, you can start thinking about how to improve the air quality inside your home. Many homeowners choose air purification systems, which filter pollutants and encourage the circulation of clean, fresh air throughout your home. These purification systems can provide substantial relief for individuals who suffer from regular asthma, allergy or COPD problems while at home.
At Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., we believe that all families should breathe clean, healthy air at home. Our friendly, professional HVAC technicians will be happy to help you find an air purifier suited to your needs. We are proud to serve both residential and commercial customers throughout the Tampa, FL, area.