Many thousands of Florida residents suffer from allergies every year. These allergies are not only during the spring months, but are experienced year round. Indoor air quality and filtration are of utmost importance to these people who just want to breathe a little bit easier. Allergy-proofing your home is a great way to cut back on some of these allergens that can make your life so miserable.
- Wash all of your sheets, blankets and pillow cases at least once a week in hot water. Choose bedding made of synthetic materials
- Remove carpeting. Wooden floors and linoleum do not hold allergens as well. Washable rugs can also be used.
- Close your windows and rely on your air conditioner or heater instead. There is no reason to let allergens in.
- Again, Remove carpeting. Carpet holds allergens. Get wooden, linoleum or tile flooring.
- Plants act as great air purifiers, but also promote mold growth. Put some aquarium gravel on top of the soil to prevent mold growth.
- Avoid using fireplaces or wood-burning stoves. Smoke worsens respiratory allergies. Natural gas fireplaces do no cause this problem, though they must be safely vented outside.
- Install a vented exhaust fan on your stove to remove moisture and fumes when cooking. Most exhaust fans just filter cooking particles out of the air, while not actually venting the air to the outdoors.
- Never let dishes pile up. Also, wash your faucet every day to prevent the growth of mold.
- Excessive moisture in the refrigerator will cause the growth of mold. Make sure it is cleaned regularly.
- Remove carpeting. Basement carpet is prone to water damage and mold growth. Instead use concrete, vinyl or linoleum flooring.
- Your foundation, windows and stairwells may contain leaks. Locate and repair any to prevent water damage that leads to mold growth.
- Basements are usually moist, though they’re not as common in Florida as in points farther north. Use a portable dehumidifier and make sure to empty it as soon as it fills up.
There is no reason why you should not be able to breathe in the comfort of your Tampa area home. Don’t suffer from your allergies in your home anymore. If you are considering allergy-proofing your home, please contact us at Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc., and you’ll be breathing easier in no time.