Have you recently installed a shiny new programmable thermostat? By using the programmable thermostat settings correctly, you could save a noticeable amount on your energy bills. Here are some rules of thumb for getting a handle on your home’s energy consumption using the benefits of a programmable thermostat.
- Program setbacks: Save energy while you’re gone all day or sleeping at night by programming energy-saving setbacks. These are most effective if you set them for at least eight hours at a time. By programming a comfortable temperature recovery about 30 minutes before you get home or wake up, you enjoy energy savings without sacrificing comfort.
- Override programmable thermostat settings sparingly: You can always override a setting if you feel too hot or too cold, but every time you do this, you increase energy use and end up paying more on your utility bills.
- Use the correct hold setting: For day-to-day overrides, use the “temporary hold” setting. This allows the regular settings to kick back in at the next programmed interval. The “permanent” or “vacation hold” setting is designed for when you’re going out of town and want to save energy while you’re away.
- Don’t crank the temperature way up or down: Always keep programmable thermostat settings within a comfortable temperature range. If you crank the temperature down to 60 degrees in an attempt to cool off the home faster, you’ll find your efforts are futile and you merely risk wasting energy by overshooting the target temperature.
- Consider zoning: If you struggle to keep rooms an even, comfortable temperature, you could benefit from zoning. A single programmable thermostat can maximize comfort throughout your home with sensors in different rooms and a damper system in the ductwork that directs heating and air conditioning exactly where you need it.
- Change the batteries: Many programmable thermostats run on batteries. To prevent an uncomfortable surprise, plan to change the batteries yearly. Some models tell you when the batteries are low.
For more tips on using programmable thermostat settings wisely, please contact Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc., proudly serving the Clearwater, Tampa and St. Petersburg area since 1992.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com