As we all know, many families will be traveling this holiday season to spend time with loved ones. As exciting as this can be, keeping your home safe while you’re traveling should be just as important to you as seeing that uncle you haven’t seen in four years. Here are some great tips that will keep your home safe this season:
- Schedule an HVAC tuneup – The last thing you need to come home to is a malfunctioning furnace or other type of heating equipment. Before you hit the road or the skies, hire an HVAC professional to tune up your system to make sure that it’s functional throughout your trip.
- Don’t advertise your trip on Facebook – Most of us love to share what’s going on in our lives, but unless you’ve kept your friend’s list close to the chest and have all your privacy options in order, you could be opening yourself up to nefarious individuals without realizing it.
- Upgrade the thermostat – A programmable thermostat can be set to switch on the heating equipment on the days and times that you select. For even greater control while you’re gone, upgrade to a WiFi model, which allows you to access the device remotely through an Internet connection.
- Drain the water heater – While the chance of a leak is low, it never hurts to be cautious. Draining the water heater is a relatively simple procedure and you can be confident not to return to a flooded room or basement.
- Find a trusted neighbor – Give a set of keys to a neighbor you trust in case anything goes wrong and ask him or her to watch over your home for any suspicious activity or something out of sync.
- Set lights on a timer – Setting lights on a timer will provide security without wasting energy.
For more expert advice on keeping your home safe while you’re traveling, or if you have any questions related to home comfort, contact the friendly professionals at Senica Air Conditioning, Inc., Inc. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Hernando, Pasco, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Cirtrus and Marion counties since 1992.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com